Cold brew coffee is a major trend that has been sweeping the world, especially in warmer weather. Cold brew coffee comes in many forms. You can buy it pre-made, or simply make it yourself. There are lots of things to think about when picking any coffee to make at home, and cold brew is no different. Today we are going to take a look at the best brand for cold brew coffee.
What can I use for brewing my own Cold Brew? You can use any high-quality coffee that will give you a smooth cup of brewed java. Let's take a look at some of our favorites.
Best Brand for Cold Brew Coffee
There are a couple of things to think about when picking the best brand for cold brew coffee.
First of all, does the brand have a specialized cold brew blend? This is an important factor especially if you are new to making your own cold brew coffee and unsure of what kind of coffee to use.
The best type of coffee for cold brew is one that that has been specifically created for this purpose.
A cold brew blend has been created and tested specifically to give you the best cold brew experience there is!
Second, is does the coffee come in whole bean or ground? Luckily each and every coffee brand on this list makes both of them, so you can purchase whatever fits your needs best.
Finally, pay attention to the darkness of the roasts and flavor profile to make sure you find a coffee brand you like.
Now, let's take a look at these cold brew coffee brands.
Cold Brew Lab Coffee
- CUSTOM CRAFTED FOR COLD BREWING: Look no further for the perfect coarse coffee grounds for making cold brew coffee. We source, roast, & blend our beans for optimal cold (slow) brew extraction – creating a strong and bold taste with well-rounded, smooth, low acidic, & full bodied flavor.
- ORGANIC 100% ARABICA COLOMBIAN COFFEE: We only use pesticide free USDA certified organic coffee because we care about the quality of our product. Specialty-grade, 100% Arabica, Colombian Supremo.
- DARK ROAST BLEND: We use a blend of medium & dark roasted coffee beans to create a unique roast level that is perfect for cold brewed coffee flavor. This creates a cup that is extremely smooth, yet bold & flavorful.
With a name like cold brew lab, can you really go wrong?
Cold Brew Lab has created this special blend of certified organic coffee specifically for cold brewing.
It contains a mixture of light and dark Arabica Columbia Supremo beans.
Cold Brew Lab Coffee - Whole Bean
Cold Brew Lab Coffee - Ground
Artizan Coffee Roasters Cold Brew Coffee
- COLD BREW USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC COFFEE - COARSELY GROUND FOR SLOW EXTRACTION - Medium Dark Roast - Artfully crafted by the Master Roasters at Artizan Coffee Company
- FRESH ROASTED & GROUND TO ORDER IN OUR USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC ROASTERY. This product ships directly from our roasting facility in Miami Gardens, Florida
- PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SILKY SMOOTH | LOW ACIDITY | HINTS OF MALT & DARK CHOCOLATE | Descriptive flavor terms are naturally occurring undertones in the coffee and no flavors are added.
Artizan Coffee Roasters also makes a wonderful cold brew coffee blend that is organic and fair trade certified.
This is a medium dark blend specially formulated for cold brew.
Artizan coffee roasters is a coffee roaster based in Miami, Florida with a huge commitment to quality, sustainability, and organic coffee. Less than 1% of coffee beans meet the Artizan standards according to their website.
It also has a flavor profile of malt and dark chocolate.
Artizan Coffee Roasters - Whole Bean
Artizan Coffee Roasters - Ground
Stone Street Coffee Cold Brew
- CRAFTED FOR COLD BREWING – Our cold brew coffee blend uses fresh gourmet arabica coffee beans from Colombia. You can coarse grind them right before brewing for the freshest flavor. Perfect for using in your at-home cold brew coffee maker or system, French press, pitcher, or mason jar.
- DARK ROAST COLOMBIAN SUPREMO – Our beans are classified as ‘supremo’ which are the largest and highest quality beans from Colombia. When these beans are dark roasted, it brings out the nutty/chocolate notes and makes the most delicious tasting cold brew coffee.
- STRONG & SMOOTH BLEND – Our coffee is specially formulated to make a bold, balanced, low-acid, slightly sweet cold brew or iced coffee. You can easily adjust the strength to make it extra strong (more coffee or longer brewing time) or even lighter (more water).
Stone Street Coffee is located in Brooklyn, New York.
Besides their specially formulated cold brew coffee being delicious, it also comes in a resealable pouch.
It is a dark roast coffee made of 100% Cloumbian Supremo beans.
Stone Street Coffee Cold Brew - Whole Bean
Stone Street Coffee Cold Brew - Ground
Tiny Footprint Coffee - Organic Cold Brew
- The world's first carbon negative coffee: For every pound that’s sold, we donate a portion of the proceeds to fund reforestation in Ecuador’s Mindo cloud forest. Over time, these trees will remove 54 lbs. of CO2 from the atmosphere as well as provide habitat for native plant and animal species
- WHOLE BEAN COFFEE: 100% Organic Shade-Grown Arabica Coffee
- A blend crafted perfectly for cold brew -- our Cold Press Elixir is a mix of our light and dark roasts spiked with our best Ethiopian coffees.
Tiny Footprint Coffee is another organic focused roaster, and boasts being the first carbon negative coffee company.
They achieve this by donating part of the proceeds from each sale to a reforestation project in Ecuador.
This coffee is made of 100% organic Arabica coffee, and is a mixture of light and dark roasts.
It has a flavor profile of fruit, floral, and cocoa tones.
Tiny Footprint Coffee - Whole Bean
Tiny Footprint Coffee - Ground
STONE COLD JO Cold Brew Coffee Blend
- STONE COLD JO PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SILKY SMOOTH | LOW ACIDITY | DARK ROAST | HINTS OF TOFFEE CARAMEL CHOCOLATE GRAPE | Descriptive flavor terms are naturally occurring undertones in the coffee and no flavors are added.
- Each batch of this fresh roasted organic coffee is hand-crafted, by artisan coffee roasters, in our micro-roastery.
- Available in 12 oz or a 2 lb money-saving package, both packaged with resealable tin-tie for convenient storage. For a cold brew we recommend a 4:1 water to coarse ground coffee ratio in a cold brewing device, French press or Mason jar. Adjust ratio as desired. Stir, cover, refrigerate 12+ hours then press/filter. Enjoy plain or with your favorite flavoring. For a hot brew we recommend using 2 tablespoons of ground coffee to 6 oz of water for optimal extraction with most brewing methods.
Jo Coffee's Stone Cold Jo cold brew coffee blend is made up of organic fair trade Arabica beans.
It is a dark roast, with a robust flavor profile, featuring hints of caramel and chocolate to make a refreshing cold coffee drink.
Stone Cold Jo - Whole Bean
Stone Cold Jo - Ground
How to Make a Gallon of Cold Brew Coffe
You may want to make a large batch of cold brew coffee to have on hand, I can't blame you. The key to making a large batch is understanding the ratio of coffee to water.
There are some pretty standard instructions for making cold brew coffee:
Use a 1:4 ratio of coffee to water for cold brew.
For every 1 cup of ground coffee, use 4 cups of water
If you are wondering how to make a gallon of cold brew coffee, you just need to break down what a gallon really is.
There are 16 cups of water in a gallon, so you would need 4 cups of ground coffee to make a gallon of cold brew.
The first time you make a gallon of cold brew you may be tempted to just try to put coffee grounds in a gallon of water.
Unfortunately, this won't work because the grounds will displace the water and you will be left with a mess.
If you plan on making batches of cold brew coffee on a regular basis, consider getting a large pitcher or container to use.
This is one of the best options around for a gallon of cold brew:
First of all, it is made out of glass, not plastic. Personally, I prefer this even with a cold brew system since this can also be used for storing the coffee.
The next great feature is the removable filter for coffee grounds, no messy straining here! This makes it as easy as possible to make cold brew coffee since straining it is the most painful part.
Picking the Best Coffee Brand for Cold Brew
Let's take a look at these coffee brands for cold brew one more time. Keep in mind we are showing the whole bean versions here, but each and every one of them has a ground option available.
Really, you can't go wrong with any of the coffees on this list. It all depends on what you are looking for and what your personal preferences are. A brand that has put in the time and dedication in to make a cold brew blend is worth a shot!
Many of these brands are also organic and fair trade, and non GMO making them an excellent choice.
Since each of these cold brew coffee brands has formulated their coffee for specifically for brewing cold, you can expect a smooth coffee with a very low acidity.
Can you add flavor to cold brew coffee?
There are many different ways to enjoy cold brew coffee. Some like it straight, while others like to add milk. Another popular option is adding flavor to your cold brew coffee. Be sure to check out our favorite coffee syrup brands for some great recommendations.
Personally, I like to add a little bit of coconut milk to my cold brew, and that's about it. Cold brew coffee is so smooth and flavorful, you may not "need" to add anything to it.
Of course, it is all about your preferences so be sure to try your cold brew all sorts of different ways.
Iced coffee vs cold brew
Iced coffee and cold brew are two different things, and there are lots of misconceptions.
First off cold brew is brewed, well, cold. There is no boiling or hot water involved. You may brew it at room temperature or put it in the refrigerator, but you don't use hot water.
Iced coffee is traditional coffee brewed over ice. The caveat here is the coffee is often brewed stronger than it would be for drinking it hot, to account for the ice watering down the coffee. A common method here is to use twice as many coffee grounds for iced coffee as you would regular coffee.